Ewing sarcoma with unusual skull metastasis in a 4-year-old female child: A case report form East Africa
Ewing sarcoma is malignant round cell tumor which is the second most common primary malignant bone tumor in pediatric patients. It presents with pain and swelling but some patients may present with signs and symptoms due to metastasis. The imaging modality preferred for diagnosis is conventional radiography. We present 4-year old female witha locally advanced left tibial Ewing sarcoma with skull, scapula, pleura and pulmonary metastasis from Addis Ababa University, TikurAnbessa Specialized Hospital which to our knowledge is the first of its kind to be reported in Ethiopia. The clinical and imaging findings are discussed.
- Ewing J; Diffuse endothelioma of bone: CA: A cancer journal for clinicians: 1972: 22(2):95-98
- Wong T et al: Clinical feature and outcomes of infants with Ewing sarcoma under 12 months of age: Pediatric Blood and Cancer J: 2015: 62(11): 1947-51
- Asif N, Khan AQ, Siddiqui YS, Mustafa H. Metastasis from scapular Ewing’s sarcoma presenting as sutural diastasis: An unusual presentation. International journal of shoulder surgery. 2010;4(1):18
- De Ioris MA, Prete A, Cozza R, Podda M, Manzitti C, Pession A, et al. Ewing sarcoma of the bone in children under 6 years of age. PloS one. 2013;8(1):e53223.
- Huh WW, Daw NC, Herzog CE, Munsell MF, McAleer MF, Lewis VO. Ewing sarcoma family of tumors in children younger than 10 years of age. Pediatric blood & cancer. 2017;64(4).
- Cugati G, Singh M, Pande A, Symss NP, Chakravarthy VM, Ramamurthi R. Isolated skull base primary Ewing's sarcoma: An extremely rare location. Journal of cancer research and therapeutics. 2013;9(4):741.
- Siegal GP, Oliver WR, Reinus WR, Gilula LA, Foulkes MA, Kissane JM, et al. Primary Ewing's sarcoma involving the bones of the head and neck. Cancer. 1987;60(11):2829-40.
- Güzel A, Tatli M, Er U, Yilmaz F, Bavbek M. Multifocal Ewing’s sarcoma of the brain, calvarium, leptomeninges, spine and other bones in a child. Journal of Clinical Neuroscience. 2008;15(7):813-7.
- Ozaki T. Diagnosis and treatment of Ewing sarcoma of the bone: a review article. Journal of Orthopaedic Science. 2015;20(2):250-63.
- Cotterill S, Ahrens S, Paulussen M, Jurgens H, Voute P, Gadner H, et al. Prognostic factors in Ewing’s tumor of bone: analysis of 975 patients from the European Intergroup Cooperative Ewing’s Sarcoma Study Group. Journal of clinical oncology. 2000;18(17):3108-14
- Gaspar N, Hawkins DS, Dirksen U, Lewis IJ, Ferrari S, Le Deley M-C, et al. Ewing sarcoma: current management and future approaches through collaboration. J Clin Oncol. 2015;33(27):3036-46.