Dr A Rocking Child: Infantile Masturbation in a three-year-old girl
Gratification behavior considered taboo and highly stigmatizing as it is rarely discussed openly in Ethiopia, a highly conservative society. This response is especially encountered when it occurs in a very young girl and may thus call for a visit to the religious healers for ‘spiritual intervention’ and prompt female genital cutting/mutilation to reduce the child’s libido and the presumed risk of sexual promiscuity as she gets older. Because of its rarity and peculiar presentation in children without manual genital stimulation, it is often misdiagnosed. A Medline search showed sparse information on gratification disorder and none from Ethiopia.
2. Mink JW, Nell JJ.Masturbation mimicking paroxysmal dystonia or dyskinesia in a young girl. Mov Disord 1995; 10:518–20.
3. Leung AK, Robson WL. Childhood masturbation. Clin Pediatric 1993;32(4):238–241.
4. Yang ML, Fullwood E, Goldstein J, Mink JW. Masturbation in infancy and early childhood presenting as a movement disorder: 12 cases and a review of the literature. Pediatrics 1995; 116(6):1427-32.
5. Livingston S, Berman W, Pauli LL. Masturbation simulating epilepsy. Clin Pediatr 1975; 14(3):232–34.
6. Couper RT, Huynh H. Female masturbation masquerading as abdominal pain. J Paediatr Child Health2002; 38:199–200.
7. Wulff CH, Ostergaard JR, Storm K. Epileptic fits or infantile masturbation? Seizure1992; 1:199–201.
8. Jan MM, Al Banji MH, Fallatah BA. Long-term outcome of infantile
gratification phenomena. Can J Neurol Sci 2013; 40(3): 416-9.
9. Meizner I. Sonographic observation of in utero fetal "masturbation". J Ultrasound Med 1987; 6(2):111.
10. Fleisher DR, Morrison A. Masturbation mimicking abdominal pain or seizures in young girls. J Pediatr 1990; 116(5):810–814
11. Holmes GL, Russman BS.Shuddering attacks. Evaluation using electroencephalographic frequency modulation radiotelemetry and videotape monitoring. Am J Dis Child1986; 140:72–3.
12. Otaigbe BE. Infantile masturbation in an African female: Is this a justification for female genital cutting? World J Pediatr. 2008; 4: 148–51.
13. Helman C.G. (1990). Culture, health and illness. Second Edition. Bristol: John Wright and Sons Ltd.