The PREVALENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS OF INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASES AMONG PATIENTS WHO VISITED AYDER COMPREHENSIVE SPECIALIZED HOSPITAL CHEST CLINIC, MEKELLE, ETHIOPIA
Keywords:Chest clinic, Interstitial Lung Disease, Mekelle
Interstitial lung diseases represent a large number of conditions that involve the parenchyma of the lung—the alveoli, the alveolar epithelium, the capillary endothelium, and the spaces between those structures—as well as the perivascular and lymphatic tissues. The causes are not known for most patients. Knowing local prevalence and associated factors will help to design preventive measures for those who are at high risk.
To determine the prevalence and characteristics of interstitial lung disease among patients visiting Ayder Comprehensive Specialized Hospital chest clinic from December 1, 2016 to November 30, 2018
A facility based retrospective cross sectional consecutive chart review was conducted on 995 patients’ charts. Those with diagnoses of interstitial lung disease were further analyzed. The data was collected using data collection format. Analysis was made on SPSS version 20 software. Descriptive statistics, frequency and proportions were utilized.Results
From 995 patients, the top three diagnoses were Asthma, Post Tuberculosis Bronchiectasis and Interstitial Lung Disease respectively. The prevalence of interstitial lung disease was 8.4%. Mean age was 55 years and female patients accounted for 52%.Conclusion
Prevalence of Interstitial Lung Disease is found to be 8.4%. Interstitial Lung Disease is the third common diagnosis in chest clinic. Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias are the leading types.
2. Robert J. Mason VCB, Thomas R. Martin, et al. Murray & Nadel’s textbook of respiratory medicine. 5th ed ed. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier 2010.
3. Rosas IO DP, Lederer DJ,et al. Interstitial lung disease: NHLBI Workshop on the Primary Prevention of Chronic Lung Diseases. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014;11:S169-S77.
4. A. U. Wells NHBB, H Branley, et al. (Interstitial lung disease guideline: the British Thoracic Society in collaboration with the Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand and the Irish Thoracic Society. Thorax. 2008;63:1–58.
5. WILLIAMD. TRAVIS MDTK, JR., M.D. et al. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society International Multidisciplinary Consensus Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. Am J RespirCrit Care Med. 2002;165(2):277-304.
6. Sharma VSaBB. A Novel Tool for Epidemiological Surveillance of Interstitial Lung Disease in India. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci. 2013; 55:197-9.
7. JAYH. RYU MEO, MD; DAVIDE. MIDTHUN, MD; ANDSTEPHENJ. SWENSEN, MD. Diagnostic Approach to the Patient With Diffuse Lung Disease. Mayo Clin Proc. 2002;77:1221-7.
8. David J. Lederer MD, and Fernando J. Martinez, M.D. Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. N Engl J Med. 2018;378:1811-23.
9. M. Demedts AUW, J.M. Anto, et al. Interstitial lung diseases: an epidemiological overview. EurRespir J. 2001;18:2s-16s.
10. Dhooria S AR, SehgalI S, Prasad K T, Garg M, Bal A, etal. Spectrum of interstitial lung diseases at a tertiary center in a developing country: A study of 803 subjects. PLoS ONE. 2018;13:2-14.
11. A. Karakatsani DP, A. Rapti et al. Epidemiology of interstitial lung diseases in Greece. Respiratory Medicine,. 2009;103:1122–9.
12. Palat P PH. Recent Trends in Interstitial Lung Disease ; Study of 25 cases. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health. 2013;2 (Issue 1):52-5.
13. B. Musellim GO, E. Uzaslan et al. Epidemiology and distribution of interstitial lung diseases in Turkey. The Clinical Respiratory Journal. 2014;8:55–62.
14. Coultas DB ZR, Black WC, Sobonya RE The epidemiology of interstitial lung diseases. Am J RespirCrit Care Med. 1994;150:967-72.
15. Rodr´ıguez-Becerra JLLo-CaE. Incidence of interstitial lung diseases in the south of Spain 1998–2000: the RENIA Study. European Journal of Epidemiology. 2004;19:155–61.
16. Boris Duchemann IA-M, Camille Jacobe de Naurois, et al. Prevalence and incidence of interstitial lung diseases in a multi-ethnic county of Greater Paris. Eur Respir J. 2017;50:1-13.
17. A.Xaubet JA, F.Morelletal. Report on the incidence of interstitial lung diseases in Spain. WASOG (World Association Of Sarcoidosis and Other Granulomatous Disorders). 2004; 21: 64–70.
18. Hasan S. Yamin AYA, IzzedinBakri. . 2017, 5, 6203). Epidemiology of interstitial lung disease in Palestine: first national data. Chest Disease Reports 2017;5.
19. William D. Travis UC, David M. Hansell, et al. An Official American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society Statement: Update of the International Multidisciplinary Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2013;188(6): 733–48.