MANAGEMENT OF ABSOLUTE GLAUCOMA: EXPERIENCE OF RAS DESTA DAMTEW HOSPITAL, ADDIS ABEBA, Ethiopia

Authors

  • Abiye Mulugeta Ophthalmology, glaucoma

Abstract

Introduction: Absolute glaucoma is the final stage of blindness in glaucoma and it is the most common reason leading to painful blind eye. This study was conducted to identify the frequency of absolute glaucoma, pain associated with glaucoma subtypes and practical treatment options for case presenting with the condition in the Ethiopian setting.

Methods: This is hospital-based cross sectional study was conducted from Sep 1,2013 to Dec 30, 2013 at Ras Desta Hospital, Department of Ophthalmology. The diagnosis of absolute glaucoma was made based on history and ophthalmic examinations. Once diagnosed, those who had pain were started on Atropine and Dexamethasone eye drops. If pain did not-resolve, retro-bulbar injection of absolute alcohol was given. Enucleation was done if the pain persisted after the injection of absolute alcohol. Data was entered on to a computer and analyzed using SPSS for windows.

Results: The study involved a total of 111 patients with absolute glaucoma. The majority of absolute glaucoma patients, 79(71.2%), had no pain. The remaining 32(28.8%) had pain and 21(65.6%) of them had got relief with topical steroid and atropine eye drops. For non-respondents, retrobulbar absolute alcohol injection was given and 7(21.9%) improved. Finally, the remaining 4(12.5%) patients eye were enucleated to relief intractable pain.

Conclusion: -Management of painful absolute glaucoma in our setting should be started with topical steroid and atropine eye-drops. If this fails, the next step is retrobulbar injection of absolute alcohol, and finally if pain is intractable, enucleation is recommended.

 

Key words: - Absolute glaucoma, pain, Management, no light perception, Ethiopia

 

Author Biography

Abiye Mulugeta, Ophthalmology, glaucoma

Assistant Professor

Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine, Addis Ababa University

References

Ramalho CM, Ribeiro LN, Silva JA, Vale TC, Degue W. Socio economic profile of people with glaucoma in the ophthalmology department the University hospital of the federal University of Juizde for a-Minas Gerais- Brazil. Arg Bras oftalmol 2007; 70(5):809-813.

Rahman MM, Rahman N, Foster PJ, Zaman AU, Dineen B, Johnson GI. The prevalence of glaucoma in Bangladesh, a population based survey in Dhaka division. Br J Ophthalmol 2004; 88(12):1493-1497.

Alingham RR, Damji KF, Freedman S, Moroi SE, Rhee D eds. Introduction: An overview of glaucoma. Shields text book of glaucoma. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011:XIII-XIV.

Al-Farah MF, al-Omar OM. Retrobulbar alcohol injection in blind painful eyes. Ann Ophthalmol 1990; 22:460-2.

Chen TC,Ahn Yuen SJ, sangalang MA, Fernando RE, Leuenberger EU. Retrobulbar chlorpromethazine injections for the management of blind and seeing painful eyes. J glaucoma 2002; 11:209-13.

Merbs SL. Management of blind painful eye. Ophthalmol Clin North Am 2006; 19:287-92.

Tarantini A, Lanzetta P, Cuqini C. Peribulbartramadol, clonidine andropivacaine in blind and seeing painful eyes. Eur J Ophthalmol 2007;17:976-8.

Skorin L. Treatment of blind and seeing painful eye.(online)Jan16 2004 (Cited 2014 March 5) Available from URL www.optometry.co.uk.

Kumar CM, Dowd TC, Hawthorne M. Retrobulbar alcohol injection for orbital pain relief under difficult circumstances: a case report. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2006;35:260-5.

Skorin L, Briggs KS, Multack RF. Spasmusnutans; a pediatric enigma. J Am Ophtha Assoc 1986;57(12):893-4.

Hamilton RC. Complications of ophthalmic regional anaesthesia. In;Kumar C, Dodds C, Fanning G, editors. Ophthalmic Anesthesia. Lisse, the Netherlands; swets & zeitlinger BV;P.181-96.

Olurin O, Osuntokun O. Complications of retrobulbar alcohol injections. Ann ophthalmol 1978; 10(4):474-6.

Webber SK, McGhee CN, McMenamin PG. Precautionary note on retrobulbar alcohol injections. Br J Ophthalmol 1995; 79: 192-4.

Cok OY, Eker HE, Canturk S, Yaycio? Lu R, Aribo? An A. Arsiian G. pain management in blind. Painful eyes; clinical experience with retrobulbar alcohol injection in 4 cases. Agri 2011;23:43-6.

Maumenee AE. Retrobulbar alcohol injections; relief of ocular pain in eyes with and without vision. Am J Ophthalmol 1949;32:1502-8.

Birch M, Strong N, Brittain P, Sandford-Smith J. Retrobulbar phenol injection in blind painful eyes. Ann Ophtalmol 1993; 25-267-70.

Downloads

Published

2017-03-08

Issue

Section

Original Article