Imaging findings of head and neck and intracranial sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy (Rosai–dorfman disease): A rare case report
Copyright (c) 2023 Ethiopian Medical Journal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
This case report describes a multifocal involvement of Rosai–Dorfman disease (RDD), which is a benign lymphohistiocytosis, with emphasis on imaging findings in a 19 yrs old Ethiopian female patient who was sent to radiology department at Tikur Anbessa Specialized Hospital (TASH) for head and neck and brain imaging evaluations for an indication of bilateral painless neck swelling of 2 years duration. The head and neck computed tomography (CT) and brain magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) revealed numerous enlarged cervical lymph nodes and soft tissue infiltration of paranasal sinuses with associated lytic osseous changes as well as multiple intracranial extra-axial dural-based masses. Smears of fine needle aspiration biopsy from cervical lymph nodes confirmed the diagnosis of Rosai–Dorfman disease (RDD).
- Arun Kumar Y, Yi Peng P, Chen Chen X. Intracranial Rosai-Dorfman disease. Case reports in radiology. 2014 Feb 11; Article ID 724379.
- Vaidya T, Mahajan A, Rane S. Multimodality imaging manifestations of Rosai-Dorfman disease. Acta Radiologica Open. 2020 Aug;9(8):2058460120946719.
- La Barge III DV, Salzman KL, Harnsberger HR, Ginsberg LE, Hamilton BE, Wiggins III RH et al. Sinus histiocytosis with massive lymphadenopathy (Rosai-Dorfman disease): imaging manifestations in the head and neck. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2008 Dec;191(6): W299-306.
- Zhu H, Qiu LH, Dou YF, et al. Imaging characteristics of Rosai-Dorfman disease in the central nervous system. European journal of radiology. 2012 Jun 1; 81(6):1265-72.
- Raslan OA, Schellingerhout D, Fuller GN, Ketonen LM. Rosai-Dorfman disease in neuroradiology: imaging findings in a series of 10 patients. American Journal of Roentgenology. 2011 Feb; 196(2): W187-93