Magnitude and management outcome predictors of Mechanical large bowel obstruction
Keywords:Large bowel obstruction, Ethiopia, Sigmoid volvulus
Background: Mechanical Large Bowel Obstruction (MLBO) has been contributed significant burden of emergency admission.
Objective: To determine the magnitude of mechanical large bowel obstruction and outcome predictors for morbidity and mortality in Debre Tabor General Hospital Northcentral Ethiopia, 2020
Methods: Hospital-based cross-sectional study employed in Debre Tabor general hospital Northcentral Ethiopia. A medical review conducted on the medical chart from Jan1, 2016 to Dec31, 2019. The reviewed data checked manually for completeness, consistency, coded and entered to SPSS version 23 for data processing and analysis. Binary logistic regression used to measure the association of each covariate with the outcome variable. In addition, factors that have an association with the outcome variables were taken into multivariable logistic regression analysis to control the potential confounders. The result of the final model expressed in terms of adjusted Odd Ratios (AOR) and 95% CI and statistical significance declared if the P-value is less than 0.05.
Results: Mechanical Large bowel Obstruction (MLBO) was accounted 33.1 %( 135) of bowel obstruction. Majority of MLBO were males (N=129, 95.6%).The mean and median age were 56.56(SD=±14.58) and 58(IQR±18) respectively. Over all mean of hospital stay was 8.65 (SD±4.8) days and the media was 8(IQR±5) days. The leading etiologies of mechanical large bowel obstruction were sigmoid volvulus (N=124, 91.9%) and colorectal cancer (N=7, 5.2%). Overall complication rate was 21.5 %( N=29) and mortality rate was 8.9 %( N=12
Conclusion: Sigmoid volvulus was the most common cause of mechanical large bowel obstruction.
1. Drożñdz W, Budzyn P. Change in Mechanical Bowel Obstruction Demographic and Etiological Patterns during the Past Century-Observations from One Health Care Institution. Arch Surg. 2012; 147(2):175–180
2. Ayenew Z, Gizaw AT, Workneh D, Fentahun N .Outcome of Non-Traumatic Surgical Acute Abdomen in Nekemte Referral Hospital Southwest Ethiopia: A Retrospective Cross-Sectional Study. Surgery Curr Res 2016; 7: 282. Doi: 10.4172/2161-1076.1000282
3. Motuma D. Small Intestinal volvulus in Southern Ethiopia. East Afr Med J. 2001;78(4):208-11
4. Soressa U, Mamo A, Hiko D, Fentahun N. Prevalence, causes and management outcome of intestinal obstruction in Adama Hospital, Ethiopia. BMC Surg 2016; 16(38)
5. .Saravanan PS, Vivek Bala P, Sivalingam J, .Clinical Study of Acute Intestinal Obstruction in Adults. IOSR-JDMS 2016;15(11)
6. Elroy PW. Perspectives on Mechanical Small Bowel Obstruction in Adults. Adv Res Gastroentero Hepatol 2017; 4(2): DOI: 10.19080/ARGH.2017.04.555632.
7. Pillai V, Benjamin RK, Chisthi MM. A Pattern of Intestinal Obstruction Cases – A Tertiary Care Centre Study. Ann. Int. Med. Den. Res. 2017; 3(2)
8. Ramanathan S, Ojili V, Cassa R, Nagar A .Large bowel obstruction in emergency department: imaging spectrum of common and uncommon cause .Journal of Clinical imaging science 2017;7(15).
9. Ibrahim MB, Hamza AA, Ismail OM.Large Bowel Obstruction: Management and Outcome in Omdurman Teaching Hospital. Sch. J. App. Med. Sci., 2015; 3(2):583-558
10. Miller G, Boman J, Shrier I, Gordon PH. Etiology of small bowel obstruction.
Am J Surg. 2000; 180(1)
11. Markogiannakis H, Messaris E, Dardamanis D, et al. Acute mechanical bowel obstruction: clinical presentation, etiology, management and outcome. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13(3):432– 437.
12. Ramula MSM, Kumar JK, Vijayananth .Evaluation of the Epidemiology and Pattern of Intestinal Obstruction Complication and Management. IOSR-JDMS: 2016; 15(12).
13. Wissam J. Halabi, Mehraneh D. Jafari, Celeste Y. K. Colonic Volvulus in the United States Trends, Outcomes, and Predictors of Mortality. Ann Surg 2013
14. Obaid KJ. Intestinal Obstruction: Etiology, Correlation between Preoperative and Operative Diagnosis. In J Public Health Resea Special Issue 2011:41-49
15. American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2020. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2020
16. Evelien Dekker, Pieter J Tanis, Jasper L A Vleugels, Pashtoon M Kasi, Michael B Wallace. Colorectal cancer. Lancet 2019; 394: 1467–80
17. Freddie Bray, Jacques Ferlay, Isabelle Soerijomataram et al. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimate of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians Sep 12,2018;68:394-424
18. GA. Mulugeta, S.Awlache. Retrospective study on pattern and outcome of management of sigmoid volvulus at district hospital in Ethiopia. BMC Surgery (2019) 19:107
19. Kotiso B, Abdurhaman Z.Pattern of acute abdomen in adults’ patients in Tikur Anbesa Teaching Hospital, Adiss Abeba, Ethiopia. East Cent Afr J Surg 2007;12(1)
20. Moalim AM, Fiqi AO, Dalmar AA. Factors Associated with Intestinal Obstructions among AdultsinKeysaney Hospital, Mogadishu Somalia. International Journal of Human and Health Sciences 2017; 01 (02)
21. AzSule, A Ajibade Adult Large Bowel Obstruction: A Review Of Clinical Experience
Department of Surgery, Jos University Teaching Hospital, Jos, Nigeria Ann Afr Med. 2011;10(1):45-50
22. A.Bansod, A.Shamkuwar. Study of Large Bowel Obstruction in Adults. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2013; 2(20)
23. Heis HA, Bani-Hani KE, Rabadi DK, et al: Sigmoid volvulus in the Middle East. World J Surg 2008;32:459-464
24. Michel, M. L., Jr., Thompson,C. T., Reinstine, H. W.. Jr.. Senter. R. R. And Dale. D. B. Acute Obstructions of the Colon. Ann. ’ Surg., 139: 806-814, 1954
25. John J. Byrne. Large Bowel Obstruction .American Journal of Surgery 1960:99