Association Between Treatment Adherence in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes with Their Quality of Life: A Cross-Sectional Study
Background: There are some controversial results regarding the association between quality of life (QOL) and adherence to drug treatment and glycemic control. Therefore, this study was designed for the evaluation of the association between treatment adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes with their QOL.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 279 diabetic type 2 positive cases referred to the Endocrinology clinic in Hamadan City in the first six months of 2020. The short-form health survey SF-36 and Persian version of MMAS-8 were used for assessing health-related QOL and treatment adherence of patients, respectively. Correlations between each QOL domain with treatment adherence were tested with Pearson's r coefficient.
Results: The number of 154 (55.2%) of them were male and the vast majority of them were urban dwellers (91.07%). 101 (36.07%) of the patients had high treatment adherence. There was a significant positive correlation between treatment adherence and domains of emotional wellbeing, social functioning, general health, and total score of QOL (P>0.05). While there was a significant negative correlation between treatment adherence and role limitations due to physical health (r=-0.14, P=0.02).
Conclusion: Based on the findings of this study, diabetic patients with poor QOL may have less treatment adherence, then such patients should be integrated e.g. in self-care education programs and reinforcement interventions to improve QOL and treatment adherence.
- Adogu P, Ubajaka C, Emelumadu O, Alutu C. Epidemiologic transition of diseases and health-related events in developing countries: a review. American Journal of Medicine and Medical Sciences. 2015;5(4):150-7.
- Piero M, Nzaro G, Njagi J. Diabetes mellitus-a devastating metabolic disorder. Asian journal of biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences. 2015;5(40):1.
- Satyawali V, Pandey S, Sharma V, Titiyal GS, Panwar N, Kumar P, et al. Assessment of level of awareness for diabetes mellitus, its systemic and ocular complications: a questionnaire-based survey at tertiary care Centre of Kumaon Region. Journal of evolution of medical and dental sciences-jemds. 2016;5(68):4856-60.
- Dashtian M, Eftekhar Ardebili H, Karimzadeh Shirazi K, Shahmoradi M, Azam K. Predicting Factors Affecting Medication Adherence and Physical Activity in Patients with Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior. Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research. 2017;15(2):133-46.
- Alfian SD, Sukandar H, Lestari K, Abdulah R. Medication adherence contributes to an improved quality of life in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients: A cross-sectional study. Diabetes Therapy. 2016;7(4):755-64.
- Imani A, Dabirian A. Telenursing Benefits in patients with Diabetes: A Review Article. Advances in Nursing & Midwifery. 2014;23(83):65-74.
- Trikkalinou A, Papazafiropoulou AK, Melidonis A. Type 2 diabetes and quality of life. World journal of diabetes. 2017;8(4):120.
- Chaudhury A, Duvoor C, Reddy Dendi VS, Kraleti S, Chada A, Ravilla R, et al. Clinical review of antidiabetic drugs: implications for type 2 diabetes mellitus management. Frontiers in endocrinology. 2017;8:6.
- Razavi Ns, Majlessi F, Mohebbi B, Tol A, Azam K. Assessing the effect of educational intervention on treatment adherence based on aim model among patients with type 2 diabetes. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid Disorders. 2017;16(3):173-82.
- Perwitasari DA, Urbayatun S. Treatment adherence and quality of life in diabetes mellitus patients in Indonesia. Sage Open. 2016;6(2):2158244016643748.
- Martínez YV, Prado-Aguilar CA, Rascón-Pacheco RA, Valdivia-Martínez JJ. Quality of life associated with treatment adherence in patients with type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Services Research. 2008;8(1):164.
- Saleh F, Mumu SJ, Ara F, Hafez MA, Ali L. Non-adherence to self-care practices & medication and health related quality of life among patients with type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional study. BMC public health. 2014;14(1):431.
- Davies M, Gagliardino JJ, Gray L, Khunti K, Mohan V, Hughes R. Real‐world factors affecting adherence to insulin therapy in patients with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review. Diabetic Medicine. 2013;30(5):512-24.
- Zullig LL, Gellad WF, Moaddeb J, Crowley MJ, Shrank W, Granger BB, et al. Improving diabetes medication adherence: successful, scalable interventions. Patient preference and adherence. 2015;9:139.
- Blackburn DF, Swidrovich J, Lemstra M. Non-adherence in type 2 diabetes: practical considerations for interpreting the literature. Patient preference and adherence. 2013;7:183-9.
- Schoenthaler A, Montague E, Baier Manwell L, Brown R, Schwartz MD, Linzer M. Patient–physician racial/ethnic concordance and blood pressure control: the role of trust and medication adherence. Ethnicity & health. 2014;19(5):565-78.
- Daher AM, AlMashoor SAH, Winn T. Glycaemic control and quality of life among ethnically diverse Malaysian diabetic patients. Quality of Life Research. 2015;24(4):951-8.
- Lau CY, Qureshi AK, Scott SG. Association between glycaemic control and quality of life in diabetes mellitus. Journal of postgraduate medicine. 2004;50(3):189-93; discussion 94.
- Pitale S, Kernan-Schroeder D, Emanuele N, Sawin C, Sacks J, Abraira C. Health-related quality of life in the VA Feasibility Study on glycemic control and complications in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of diabetes and its complications. 2005;19(4):207-11.
- Montazeri A, Goshtasebi A, Vahdaninia M, Gandek B. The Short Form Health Survey (SF-36): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Quality of life research. 2005;14(3):875-82.
- John E. SF-36 health survey: manual and interpretation guide: Health Assessment Lab; 2000.
- Dehghan M, Nayeri ND, Karimzadeh P, Iranmanesh S. Psychometric properties of the Persian version of the Morisky medication adherence scale-8. Journal of Advances in Medicine and Medical Research. 2015:1-10.
- Moharamzad Y, Saadat H, Shahraki BN, Rai A, Saadat Z, Aerab-Sheibani H, et al. Validation of the Persian version of the 8-item Morisky Medication Adherence Scale (MMAS-8) in Iranian hypertensive patients. Global journal of health science. 2015;7(4):173.
- Benrazavy L, Khalooei A. Medication Adherence and its Predictors in Type 2 Diabetic Patients Referring to Urban Primary Health Care Centers in Kerman City, Southeastern Iran. Shiraz E-Medical Journal. 2019(In Press).
- Farsaei S, Sabzghabaee AM, Zargarzadeh AH, Amini M. Adherence to glyburide and metformin and associated factors in type 2 diabetes in isfahan, iran. Iran J Pharm Res. 2011;10(4):933-9.
- Aflakseir A. Role of illness and medication perceptions on adherence to medication in a group of Iranian patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of diabetes. 2012;4(3):243-7.
- Aminde LN, Tindong M, Ngwasiri CA, Aminde JA, Njim T, Fondong AA, et al. Adherence to antidiabetic medication and factors associated with non-adherence among patients with type-2 diabetes mellitus in two regional hospitals in Cameroon. BMC endocrine disorders. 2019;19(1):35.
- Lin L-K, Sun Y, Heng BH, Chew DEK, Chong P-N. Medication adherence and glycemic control among newly diagnosed diabetes patients. BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care. 2017;5(1):e000429.
- Marinho FS, Moram C, Rodrigues PC, Leite NC, Salles GF, Cardoso CR. Treatment adherence and its associated factors in patients with type 2 diabetes: results from the Rio de Janeiro type 2 diabetes cohort study. Journal of diabetes research. 2018;2018.
- Wabe NT, Angamo MT, Hussein S. Medication adherence in diabetes mellitus and self management practices among type-2 diabetics in Ethiopia. North American journal of medical sciences. 2011;3(9):418.
- Zioga E, Kazakos K, Dimopoulos E, Koutras C, Marmara K, Marmara E-E, et al. Adherence and quality of life in patients with type II diabetes mellitus in northern Greece. Materia socio-medica. 2016;28(4):258.
- Abedini MR, Bijari B, Miri Z, Shakhs Emampour F, Abbasi A. The quality of life of the patients with diabetes type 2 using EQ-5D-5 L in Birjand. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2020;18(1):18.
- Gholami A, Azini M, Borji A, Shirazi F, Sharafi Z, Zarei E. Quality of Life in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: Application of WHOQoL-BREF Scale. Shiraz E-Med J. 2013;14(3):162-71.
- Javanbakht M, Abolhasani F, Mashayekhi A, Baradaran HR, Jahangiri noudeh Y. Health related quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus in Iran: a national survey. PloS one. 2012;7(8):e44526.
- John R, Pise S, Chaudhari L, Deshpande PR. Evaluation of Quality of Life in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients Using Quality of Life Instrument for Indian Diabetic Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study. Journal of mid-life health. 2019;10(2):81-8.
- Khalili M, Sabouhi F, Abazari P, Aminorroaya A. Comparing the quality of life in insulin recipient and refusal patients with type 2 diabetes. Iranian journal of nursing and midwifery research. 2016;21(4):351-6.
- Zurita-Cruz JN, Manuel-Apolinar L, Arellano-Flores ML, Gutierrez-Gonzalez A, Najera-Ahumada AG, Cisneros-González N. Health and quality of life outcomes impairment of quality of life in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a cross-sectional study. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2018;16(1):94.
- Jing X, Chen J, Dong Y, Han D, Zhao H, Wang X, et al. Related factors of quality of life of type 2 diabetes patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Health and quality of life outcomes. 2018;16(1):189.
- Farhat R, Assaf J, Jabbour H, Licha H, Hajj A, Hallit S, et al. Adherence to oral glucose lowering drugs, quality of life, treatment satisfaction and illness perception: A cross-sectional study in patients with type 2 diabetes. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal. 2019;27(1):126-32.
- Kleefstra N, Ubink-Veltmaat L, Houweling S, Groenier K, Meyboom-de Jong B, Bilo H. Cross-sectional relationship between glycaemic control, hyperglycaemic symptoms and quality of life in type 2 diabetes (ZODIAC-2). Neth J Med. 2005;63(6):215-21.
- Chew BH. Medication adherence on quality of life among adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus: an exploratory analysis on the EDDMQoL study. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation. 2015;24(11):2723-31.
- Babenko AY, Mosikian AA, Lebedev DL, Khrabrova EA, Shlyakhto EV. Mental state, psychoemotional status, quality of life and treatment compliance in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of comparative effectiveness research. 2019;8(2):113-20.
- Saleh F, Mumu SJ, Ara F, Hafez MA, Ali L. Non-adherence to self-care practices & medication and health related quality of life among patients with type 2 diabetes: a cross-sectional study. BMC public health. 2014;14:431.
- Khayyat SM, Mohamed MMA, Khayyat SMS, Hyat Alhazmi RS, Korani MF, Allugmani EB, et al. Association between medication adherence and quality of life of patients with diabetes and hypertension attending primary care clinics: a cross-sectional survey. Quality of life research : an international journal of quality of life aspects of treatment, care and rehabilitation. 2019;28(4):1053-61.
- Lin EH, Katon W, Von Korff M, Rutter C, Simon GE, Oliver M, et al. Relationship of depression and diabetes self-care, medication adherence, and preventive care. Diabetes care. 2004;27(9):2154-60.
- Schram MT, Baan CA, Pouwer F. Depression and quality of life in patients with diabetes: a systematic review from the European depression in diabetes (EDID) research consortium. Current diabetes reviews. 2009;5(2):112-9.